Monday, 29 September 2008

The Craft Aftermath

Kraftbomb was a lot of fun yesterday! It wasn't as busy as last time but I made a few sales which is good. Next month will be in a bigger venue so hopefully that will attract more customers. I also spent way too much on goodies for myself... I bought THREE furry bunny plushes from Anemone Crafts (photo taken from blog here) a hedgehog necklace from 'Lilys Make Believe' (blog here) and a bunch of badges from Nut and Bee (site here). My stupid camera was out of batteries (okay maybe i'm the stupid one for not charging it) so no photos from me :( BUT there were many photos taken by other people so they should be floating around the net anytime now so i'll snag a couple then. Hopefully I don't look like a total dork in any!

After looking at what other people were selling their items for I am starting to wonder if im pricing my stuff too cheaply...I noticed one stall was selling a necklace using a charm that was on one of my necklaces but mine actually had two charms on it but they'd marked theirs at $20 and mine was only at $15. I am crap at the business side of stuff and really have no clue what I should be pricing at and normally make up a price on the spot ha that's terrible. I should really be keeping a record of how much im spending of materials so I can work out cost+labour for a reasonable sale amount. I have a feeling I am possibly losing money... I know im putting way more money into materials than what im getting back in sales :/ I just love the process of creating things though so I almost don't really care about the profit.
The other thing I picked up on was people are more interested in the more pricey items (sterling silver necklaces etc.) so im wondering if I should shift focus on creating higher ticket items using quality materials - only risk with that is not selling anything... Suppose I could always try out one or two items and see what happens and if noone bites keep them for myself.

I have reduced my ebay spending a LOT recently.. I was spending way too much and with the NZ dollar being so weak against the US it was getting ridiculous. I did however succumb to buying a few things I just couldn't resist...




3 comments:

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

oh thank you for popping the picture of the hedgehog up I hope your enjoying him. I used to be just the same- but now (only recently) am attempting to be far more business savvy. Hence the $20 necklaces hehe. liv x

Niella said...

Hi!

I love my Japanese stickers!

I have used a few on some layouts and projects already:)

Come have a lil' looksie:):)

xx.

Sugar Lemon Sweetheart said...

My hedgehog is fantastic, so cute! Next time I am definitely getting an owl to match :) and yep that was me who made the typewriter necklaces, I had heaps of problems getting them to stay waterproof though :( Yours didn't run at all did it? I hope not! I finally found a decent craft sealant/vanish so might make some new designs up as they were really popular.