Friday, 10 October 2008

Blah

I am really worried about how our dollar is falling at the moment. I just do not know how I can buy the supplies I need (which are always in US dollars) and still make a profit at the prices I can charge. If I was breaking even that would be okay but if im losing money thay is a worry...
I am paying nearly double what you guys in the USA are, I cannot believe its dropped to 59c (as of right now). Horray for five year lows......... Not only that but it also means I can not really justify buying ANYTHING for myself online. No more dollies or goodies :( which means no more cute photos to share :( which means less participation in all the fun communities I am a part of :( which means total shittiness for moi.
Everything we (as a country) import from overseas (especially europe and us) will inevitably be raising in price too.
I am almost at the point where im thinking I may have to sell off a large portion of my collection to make some dollars while its so low.. only problem is I don't know how to set up paypal to put money into my bank account, i've always just used those funds to pay for other onine purchases.
If I was to sell all my dolls, supplies and collectibles at what they are worth I would be able to make around $10,000. Thats terrifying because that means i've SPENT ten grand on that stuff to begin with. I know this is a very negative blog entry but im totally freaking out about it.

I am also not sure if crafting is financially viable for me anymore. I am just not selling enough. I dont know if it's because im not promoting it enough (quite possible) or in the case of actual craft events like kraftbomb, my stuff is just too niche. I know theres a huge market for cutesie frou frou stuff online (I mean look at lollishops!) but maybe not so much here in Auckland. I seem to be popular with the kids though haha guess adults aren't so into the idea of cupcake rings and pony brooches :*( And to be really honest I think my ideas and actual skills are just not good enough... nothing I do is really unique and no matter how hard I try and think of new ideas I just hit a brick wall. I have hundreds of dollars worth of jewellery supplies and fabrics just sitting around gathering dust. Maybe it is just time to forget it and move on.

I don't know...
:/

4 comments:

Niella said...

Pleassse don't give up!! Love your stuff...especially your fabrics + stickers!!

I really love looking at my lil' fabric scrap box:):)

Annette Read said...

Nat, I'm messaging you now~

Goodbye Eden's Eve said...

Oh Nat, It's been a while, but wanted to say hang in there ... we are all most definitely feeling the crunch these days. And sadly, I don't see things getting much better :( Also, I have noticed a lot of people are slowing down on the dolly buying, and it makes me need to stop watching more than ever. Before I always felt I had to pay way too much just to nab a doll, but now I see them going for way less, and I know if I even spend a little I will be paying for it later. It is really a bad habbit/cycle to get into. I say grab a great drink, (mine would be iced coffee) and have fun using those wonderful fabrics you have!!! Make yourself some wonderful things and maybe you can even use those supplies to make a few christmas gifts!!! Just think of all the wonderful dollies you do have and enjoy them!! This is what I am trying to do!!
Jana
P.S. I love your jewelry ... it is oo cute!! And may I ask what is that owl thing is on your table?? WANT IT!!

snez said...

Don't panic just yet. Do you sell much overseas over Etsy? If our dollar is low you can charge a little less in USD which may mean more sales.

You can always change your crafts to suit your budget, for a while at least. Try making things from materials you can get cheap locally or over TradeMe.

What kind of things did you normally buy online?

Snez.

Blog: http://helter--skelter.net
Store: http://squidlimbs.com